New Blogger Format

I've switched our blog over to Blogger's new software, which incorporates a lot of new features. One I was contemplating is making the blog viewable only to "us" (i.e. the members of this blog). What do you guys think? As I see it, the upside is that non-family wouldn't be able to read our posts and the downside is that you'd have to be logged in to view the blog. I won't enable that feature unless it appears that the majority of us want it, so please let me know.

9 comments:

Roberta said...

I vote no to the change. I don't want to have to log in to view the blog.

Ben said...

I vote for it, for privacy and security reasons and no one else needs to be reading this anyway. Also I am sure the login process will be easy, it will probably remember your password for you. Also, for you oldtimers, excericising your memory will help to prevent alzheimers

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

Ben, that's true. I have blogger set up to remember my password. Also, you already have to be logged in to comment, so we're not talking about some sort of huge inconvenience. If we were to switch to password protection you would be prompted to put in your username and password, and then you'd be taken to the blog homepage. We're talking about 5 seconds of extra work.

I also don't really like the idea of other people being able to read our blog. Potential employers often view personal blogs as a liability, so I am not keen on being easily googled. Obviously that's not a problem for those of you who won't be looking for a job in the near future, or who have more common names...

Marilyn or Rick said...

Roberta, are you voting TWICE?

m

Ryan Ruby said...

i already log in to see the blog (because of others on my dashboard) but at the same time i don't care who reads the thing. so i have no preference. but i didn't want to not vote! ok, supposing that a vote is an aggregate of private wills based on the self-interest of each voter, i'll take up the cause of members-only readership.

Deanne said...

I'll go with the majority. I don't know who'd want to read the blog (besides us, of course!)

Michael said...

what?

Michael said...

i mean, seriously

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

Michael--I don't understand what you're asking?