Fern-
I'm glad you liked Yvor Winters, I really love him. That also gave me some more insight into other people you might like.
Everybody-
NPR has a a program called All Things Considered that feature's different literary artists from around the world. Among the notables have been: Diane Di Prima, Ceslaw Milosz, Lorna Dee Cervantes, Lucille Clifton, Quincy Troupe (my personal fave), Charles Harper Webb, and Marilyn Chin (a writing prof of mine). These and several other contributors are published in a collection Cathy Bowman edited called Word Of Mouth. You can find it at Barnes & Noble or Borders but it's also probably at your nearest college library as well. They're more contemporary than Keats and Browning, and so I find their influences are right on the surface which I like. You can probably find it in Google Print. I have a copy you can see too. Or:
Preparation by Czeslaw Milosz. I LOVE THIS POEM.
Married by Jack Gilbert. Also on that page is Anseo by Paul Muldoon which is great, if you like Winters you'll like him. All of Gilbert's stuff is like Married. Like poetic journal entries.
Memory by Lucille Clifton. Not everyone likes her, but many do. She's had a very interesting life. All of her material has very raw emotional content as this one does.
I'd recommend getting the book. Have fun, let me know what you guys think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Lauren--I was really looking forward to your second poetry post! I think you should have some sort of regular schedule. :-)
I am off to read your latest selections...
Lauren--I really liked those three. I especially liked Lucille Clifton's poem. I liked how she used the line breaks to emphasize the last word in the line.
I want to think about Milosz's poem some more. I really liked the line in his poem where he says "And that will be the subject, with addenda." I actually laughed when I read that line. It's sort of optomistic and pessamistic at the same time. It's like he is saying, "here is what the future holds, but I reserve the right to ammend what the future will be once the future happens."
Post a Comment