We aren't all radicals.

Hey Family! I figured I would give you some sort of update on life here in Berkeley since everyone else has been updating and I am trying to avoid a paper for Art History.

I have been here for...a month (?) so I have pretty much settled into the whole routine of classes, etc. I only have class on Tuesday and Thursday and an unscheduled internship with CalPIRG (CA Public Interest Research Group--google it.). I am working on their New Voters Project which is exactly what it sounds like. I am currently working on organizing debate-watching parties around the dorms.

When I am not in class, I like to listen to some of the interesting "characters" we have here on campus. There is a fantastic old guy who lectures in front of Dwinelle Hall at 1:30 every day; he talks about politics (local and national), whatever is in the Daily Californian campus newspaper, and comments on passers-by. There is also a crazy Christian guy who usually attracts a crowd to heckle and provoke him; he has a sign that lists all the categories of people who will be "judged" (one of which is sports fans. I mean, I guess I understand why witches are going to hell but sports fans?). There is one guy who I have not yet encountered but who is reverently referred to as "F*** Man" because he walks around screaming "F*** the _____(insert your favorite electronic device/machine)." Word on the street is that he has a trust fund and doesn't need to work so he chooses to educate us poor folk instead. When you guys come to visit me, we can go watch whoever strikes your fancy.

I suppose that is all for now. Papa, I do go to Hillel to get my weekly dose of Judaism. And I am sure someone will ask about the tree sitters--they cut those trees down already and the tree people were sent to jail (but some of them are free now, I hear). I like my roommate; she is nice (and Jewish!). Ryan and Lauren, I am reading Justine for my Comp Lit class! We just finished Pamela by Samuel Richardson...it was fairly boring. Otherwise, life is good.

16 comments:

Rob said...

Ariel, Glad you are enjoying the "flavor" of Berkley. A very strong argument for the term "Art imitates life". Have you gone to a football game yet? Cal has a pretty good team this year.

Roberta said...

Hi Ariel, it sure is nice to 'hear' from you. How's your paper going????

Lauren said...

I LOVE YOU

Anonymous said...

I haven't gone to any football games--forgot to buy tickets and the student section is sold out. As for the paper, i wrote an intro and part of an outline ;)

I LOVE YOU TOO!!!

Deanne said...

Hi sweetie,

I'm glad that you're making yourself at home and enjoying your colorful surroundings. Have you gotten together with Steve again for lunch? I'm very proud of your work with CalPIRG; I think it's great to volunteer your time with a group that is meaningful to you!

I love you and miss you!

Mom

Anonymous said...

yep i am hanging out with steve today at four at that place we went for lunch when we were there for mun. cafe milano.

Marilyn or Rick said...

Debating watching parties? hmmmm



Marilyn

Deanne said...

Marilyn, you know take a shot every time one of the candidates says his signature line or something like that! Why not get educated about the candidates and have fun at the same time, yes?

Ariel, say hi to Steve for us!

Lauren said...

hello they're underage. they can just watch it and eat chips and dip.

Deanne said...

yah, right, i forgot

Anonymous said...

well the party is being hosted by the dorm association so yeah. but we were trying to set up debate drinking games in the frats.

Roberta said...

Wow! Things have changed a lot since I was in college. In 1976, we skipped the debate and went right to the drinking!

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

Ari--Glad you're enjoying life in Berkely! One thing I learned from Greek life...don't call fraternities "frats." I think fraternity brothers are trained to respond, "I don't call your country a C---, so don't call my fraternity a frat." Nice, eh?

Deanne said...

wow, Fern I've never heard that one. Those boys, so eloquent.

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

I only heard it once...the only time I made the mistake of refering to TKE as a "frat." ;-)

Deanne said...

too funny