So, it seems as though my days in Southern California are numbered.
Although I applied to 5 SoCal programs, i have not received an offer to interview at any of them yet. Although, I did get an offer to go to Kern in Bakersfield, I'm not sure i will accept.
There is still time for UCLA and USC to offer me interviews, so we shall see.
I have just finished my first interview at Michigan State in Lansing, MI.
Upcoming interviews are:
University of Illinois, Chicago
Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ
University of Kansas, Kansas City
Spartanburg Medical Center, Spartanburg, South Carolina
University of Florida, Jacksonville
Penn State
Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina
University of Florida, Gainesville
Louisiana State University, New Orleans
I may or may not have an interview at Temple in Philly. But they are having some administrative type difficulties setting up an interview, which is unfortunate, because i really like their program.
The schedule may or may not change, as i expect to hear from maybe 20 more programs, although i expect mostly "thanks, but no thanks". Who knows.
So, tha'ts where i'm at career wise.
At least residency guarantees that the upcoming tax hikes wont affect me too much. (we're underpaid)
And i can get out of LA before sales tax hits NY levels.
-m
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
oh man. are you sad to leave the state or would you kind of look forward to it? do you have anywhere you'd especially like to wind up, and anywhere you'd especially not like to wind up?
i was looking forward to it when possibly staying was also an option ... but now that its nearly definite it feels kinda weird ... and unless i go to arizona or florida, it will probably also feel really cold
Michael--I am excited for you. It looks like you have lots of options for residencies. I'm still hoping you get an interview from USC or UCLA though, because I know your mom, dad and Rachel, as well as the rest of your extended family, would love for you to be close by. Wherever you end up, I promise to use my airline miles to come and visit.
Michael--Good luck! I'm rooting for you, and hope you get placed in a residency program that is a good fit.
While I'm not looking forward to the effect tax increases have on the economy, it is still better to make 100K and pay 40% in taxes than it is to make 30K and pay 20% to the feds. Not that it matters in either your or my case though. I don't think I'll have the opportunity to earn 100 thousand big ones any time soon either.
Sorry, make that 15%. People who make 30K a year are in the 15% tax bracket.
We look forward to finding out where you'll spend your residency. What an exciting time for you! We'll have to plan a future family road trip to include the state you end up in so we can visit you.
Post a Comment