California Bar Exam

Well, I am all checked in here at the Fairfield Inn Ontario and twiddling my thumbs waiting for the bar exam tomorrow. Wish me luck!

UPDATES...

Day 1 - Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'm not saying I definitely passed today's essays, but they were easier than I thought they would be. I certainly didn't bomb. There was a torts essay, a First Amendment essay and a contracts/remedies essay. The funny thing about the First Amendment essay was that the fact pattern mirrored that of one of the cases I worked on while externing for Judge Sills last semester. The performance essay was as good as I could have hoped for. I only had to read two cases and two short depositions as background, but I could have used another 10 minutes to tidy up my answer.

Day 2 - I'm really tired. I wasted a lot of time today erasing my scantron and reentering my answers after I realized (three times!) that I had gotten my answers out of sync.

Day 3 - I'm home!!! I am so unbelievably tired. This morning's essays were professional responsibility (i.e. lawyer ethics, let the jokes flow freely!), corporations and wills & trusts. I think I nailed the afternoon performance exam which was a client letter. On the whole, I think I have a 50/50 shot at passing. I didn't tank and I don't think I hit a grand slam. So we'll see. I won't know until November 17th.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

fern
my thoughts and prayers and love are with you.
G-d bless
larry

Roberta said...

Fern,

I'm sending you good vibes from Maui. You will make a fine lawyer. Dad and I are so immensely proud of you. Take a deep breath, now let it out. You can do this. I know you can.

lots of love,
Mom

Deanne said...

Good luck Fern, we're rooting for you! You'll do great!!

Love, Deanne and the gang

Marilyn or Rick said...

Fern we wish you luck and a much much more....


Marilyn Rick Rachel Michael

Roberta said...

I hope the first day of the Bar Exam went well. One down, two to go!

Rob said...

Fern, I am so proud of you. Fatherly advice if allowed:
1. Do you best and forget the rest.
2. Focus on what you know and BS you way through what you don't know.
3. Being difficult is what makes things great and what you have accomplished is definately difficult and by my definition great!
4. Think positive, believing you can is the most difficult task we all face.
Love Dad

Mick said...

Fern, after you finish the bar... we should go to the bar... and get pissed (drunk)
:)

Roberta said...

Day 2-Good luck, Fern!

Mom and Dad

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

Mick--Deal. Anyone who is legal age is welcome to join us. :-)

Rob said...

Fern,
Look at the bright side, at least you realized they were out of sync. One day left keep positive thoughts in your head.
Love Dad

Roberta said...

Hang in there, Fern, and remember to breathe!!! 2 down and 1 to go.

Mom

Michael said...

i will go to a celebratory drinking bout ... good luck on the last day ...
I didnt realize it took three days, and essays must take a while to grade, so I hope you feel good enough leaving the exam that you dont have to worry about it for a month or so.

-michael

Roberta said...

It's over. You did it. And now, Maui is calling your name!!!!