what i've been doing

My summer has been interesting so far ...
Of course, we went to Costa Rica, and now I have just finished teaching a 4 week course for students entering their first years in the osteopathic medicine, physician's assistant, and physical therapy programs. I found teaching to be quite satisfying, especially since my students were, for the most part, highly motivated to learn. I tought 3 weeks of intensive anatomy, for which i prepared and explained prosections in the lab, as well as coordinated the entire program with the faculty members in charge. The fourth week was an intro to osteopathic manipulative medicine, a subject which i find to be interesting and fun to practice, but not well understood, even amongst the community at an osteopathic school. I havent had a chance to talk to many of you about osteopathic medicine, but im sure there will be time in the future.
Then last Friday, i had another surgery on my right shoulder. I still had a labral (latin for lip, referring to cartilage in the shoulder) tear and much scarring and inflammatory tissue. I am currently recovering typing left handed with right arm in a sling.
On the future front, i am still considering trying to be a surgeon, but i have taken to considering infectious disease or cardiology as well. Choosing between medicine or surgery will have to be the first choice.

Thats all for now.
-michael

5 comments:

Rob said...

michael, Thanks for the update. Good luck on your recovery.

Deanne said...

I am interested in hearing more about osteopathic medicine one of these days! What a great opportunity for you to teach incoming students; it sounds like you really enjoyed it. When do you have to make your decision between medicine and surgery?

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

Sounds great Michael! I hope you have a speedy recovery from the shoulder surgery. Was it any different being a patient now that you're 1 year closer to being a doctor?

Roberta said...

Hi, Michael. Hope your arm is healing well and that you are not in too much pain. You type very well left-handed!

Mick said...

Hey Michael great to hear the latest info. I hope your shoulder recovers quickly!

Mick