I would like your opinion, and not just in a hypothetical, philosophical sense. We received an email at the office from mesora.org on behalf of a man named Harold Lefkowitz. He is in need of a kidney transplant and is appealing to people's generosity. He requires a donor withblood type A+ or O. Would you consider being a kidney donor for someone you do not know?
I have not discussed this with Rob or my immediate family, and I would absolutely do so, before making such a decision.
btw if you are interested, Harold Lefkowitz's phone number is: 516-431-0861 and his email is: bafkowitz@aol.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I have thought about this over the years and I would like to save my kidney for someone I know. It is a short list, but I would only give it to someone I loved deeply. It is a huge sacrifice and act of love to give a kidney while you are alive and in good health. When I am dead, I would want my organs donated to whomever was in need and deemed to be the next candidate on the list, as long as they were not in jail. I once heard about someone on death row qualifying for a liver. He received it and it was paid for by the tax payers.
M
Anyone who reads this MUST watch the last episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO. It deals with this subject.
I wouldn't donate a kidney if I had minor children at home. I would need to know the specific risks involved with kidney transplants to decide if I would donate my kidney if I didn't have children.
Given that I have kidney stones that still live in both of my kidneys and therefore am at risk for damage to my kidney function over time, I would not donate except to a loved one. I would also not risk my life and health while I still have young children that need me to be around for several more years.
I feel similarly to all of you. I think I would only donate a kidney, while I was still alive, to a loved one. I was struck by this man's plea, and I know there are people who would donate to someone they do not know, and I considered it, for a moment.
I would not donate a kidney to anyone but my own children or my sister ... I think it is selfish of this man to ask for a kidney from people he doesnt know. So many people need a kidney transplant ... if no one wants to give him one, he should wait on the list like everyone else.
Are you saying Michael, that he is trying to jump ahead in line by asking people he doesn't know? If that is your argument, I see your point, otherwise, I don't see any harm in asking.
I don't think its selfish to ask for other people's kindness (so long as he is not demanding it). How will people willing to donate their kidney to a stranger know about the opportunity unless this guy asks?
Clarissa-Did you see that movie about people who had genetically identical copies of themselves made in order to supply body parts, if they should need them in the future?
As to families swapping organs, isn't the most likely place to get a donated organ from someone you are genetically related to?
Something I was wondering about that maybe Michael knows the answer to...It is my understanding that you cannot leave instructions in your will with regards to who you would like to be able to have your organs. Why not? If we allow people to pick and choose who to donate to while they are alive, why shouldn't Marilyn be allowed to specify that her organs not go to a criminal upon her death?
Post a Comment