Alibris

In order to facilitate your literature abuse problem (just call me codependent) I wanted to pass along one of my favorite book websites: Alibris. A lot of times Alibris has a new book for cheaper than Amazon, even when you factor in the cost of shipping. Beyond getting a great deal, you are often supporting an independant book seller (i.e. not Barnes & Noble or Borders). Alibris has their own inventory but also lets independent bookstores list their books on its site as well. It's always nice to help the little guy. Alibris also has used books for when you are feeling super cheap, or when you can't find a new copy of a book, or for those of you who love the smell of a slightly musty book (if you raised your hand after that last one, you have a much more serious literature abuse problem then I originally anticipated).

To show you the kind of great deals you can get on Alibris, here is the breakdown for one of the first books on my Amazon wishlist, Margaret Thatcher's Statecraft:

Book $2.99
Shipping $3.49
---------------------
Total $6.48

Amazon has the same book for $11.67 plus shipping, unless you are buying more than $25 dollars worth of books or have their Amazon Prime service (which costs $80 a year).

9 comments:

Ryan Ruby said...

Yeah, alibris is awesome. Fern, while you're at it, you should pick up Henry Kissinger's book of the same title.

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

Thanks for the tip Ryan. Are you sure it's called Statecraft? Because I can't seem to find it on Amazon.

Ryan Ruby said...

Sorry, my bad. Kissinger's book is called "Diplomacy." Don't know where the short-circuit in my brain came from (perhaps it's because I associate Thatcher the Iron Lady with the Kissinger the Iron Chef, or perhaps because Statecraft and Diplomacy are similar tasks). Let's just say my joke comparison/negative recommendation failed to hit its mark.:-P

But, while I'm at it, no book by Kissinger should be bought with out that great book on Kissinger, namely "The Trials of Henry Kissinger" by Christopher Hitchens.

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

Okay, whew. I thought I was losing my research skills. ;-) I actually like Hitchens. I like anyone who thinks for himself without checking the playbook of whichever ideology he or she subscribes to.

Anonymous said...

ryan...was taken aback by your reccomendation of henry kissingers book....i enjoyed hitchens book on kissinger very much, it opened my eyes...
by the way i am beginning the reading of the winston churchill books you purchased for me...this is a lot of reading. 5 volumes.

fern
take a look at www.abesbooks.com
a great site as well. also www.powells.com. it is worth a trip to portland just to see the store.

Roberta said...

I checked out the website, and I bought 4 books. Then I decided to compare it to Amazon (I should have done that before I purchased the books). All the books I bought were cheaper on Amazon and I had to pay shipping.

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

That's kind of surprising mom. What books did you buy? Also, did you buy them all from the same seller?

Anonymous said...

i think we should all fly up to portland and hang out at powells.

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

I'm down for visiting Portland. :-)