- The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seirstad
- The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky by Farah Ahmedi (Apparently Doti is trying to convince Ahmedi to study at Chapman)
- Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario
- We Die Alone by David Howarth
- Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry
Chapman Book Recommendations
Every May I get a letter from the President of Chapman University, Jim Doti. In his letter Doti points out a few accomplishments of Chapman alumni, students and professors, talks about what the next academic year has in store for Chapman and gives his thoughts on 5 or 6 books he read this past year. Doti is a voracious reader and often recommends books that I haven't heard of. In particular he likes an Indian (as in the subcontinent) author named Rohinton Mistry. So here are Doti's recommendations for summer reading:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I read The Bookseller of Kabul, and I recommend it also. We Die Alone and Such a Long Journey sound interesting. I'm amazed at the sheer volume of books that are published every year. It gives new meaning to "so many books, so little time!"
Roberta, recently read a review of a book I thought you might like called "The Caged Virgin" by Dutch politician Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
P.S. In response to Rob's and your inquiry at Jake's BM, I should have said "I am against patriarchy where ever it is, including Afghanistan." Sorry for waffling on you two.
Post a Comment