The Drake Hotel



Was able to get an ad hoc group of about 30 friends (and friends of friends, and random aquaintences of friends of friends) to dress up and come for birthday libations at Chicago's lovely Drake Hotel. Drinks were had at the Coq d'Or bar (which claims to have served the second drink in Chicago after Prohibition--leading one of course to wonder where that first cork of champagne was popped in what was perhaps the center of the Speakeasy and the Moonshine Bathub) and in the lobby, where a jazz quartet held court over a dance floor of newlyweds, nostalgic elderly couples, assorted persons of general respectability, and fantastically dressed reprobates from the University of Chicago.

I posted the above photo because it is the only one that I've seen thusfar that has satisfied two critieria: 1) I'm in it, and 2) nothing untoward was happening in it. Though in all fairness it's pretty self-congradulatory, for which I somewhat apologize. The Maoettes are, from left to right: Meghan, Emily, Amy, Melanie, Kim, and Abbe.

6 comments:

The Sagacious Man said...

I applaud ye on the Female to Male ratio in that picture! And Happy 23rd bday!

Michael said...

is that all you got?
you soulda seen my birthday

Anonymous said...

im most proud

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

We're not going to have a birthday pissing contest now, are we? And if we are, can we have a prize for the shortest stream, because I am usually content to go to dinner with just my family.

Anonymous said...

i decided that ryan and michael should plan my next birthday party.

Mick said...

Pimp!