
Yesterday evening while watching the Angels and White Sox game I was sure that the umpire made the wrong call. I even watched the replay several times and it seemed clear to me that the ball was caught before hitting the dirt. Today I encountered some people who thought otherwise. What do you think? Was it a good or a bad call???
17 comments:
it all depends on whether you are a whitesox fan or an angel fan...
I'm rooting for the White Sox, but, I was watching when the "incident" happened and Jake, Lauren, Ariel and I all thought that he caught the ball before it hit the dirt.
I'm pulling for the Sox. But that ball was caught clean. Bad call by the ump.
Oops, I guess the REST of us thought it was caught!
I love you too Ariel!
Mom
as much as i would love to see the sox win this series...i have to say they got a big break from the umpire and an a small break from an inexperienced catcher.
i did of course have the advantage of seeing the play numerous times at real time and slow motion....
Larry, do you have a dVR? They are great for sports...!! He was out.
mick
i believe i agreed with you.
what is a dVR? i assume it is one more piece of advanced technology i can add to my "list" of advanced technology i know nothing about
Larry--Have you heard of TiVO? TiVO is a DVR...Digital Video Recorder.
I think that the catcher should have, BY HABIT, tagged the runner. The ump only made 1/2 the mistake. The catcher made the other half
yes ive heard of tivo...but i think they arent doing well because cable companys are taking business.
david, i agree.
That's a good point David. I agree with you.
I give most of the blame to the catcher. From the time they start playing with the dropped third strike rule catchers are taught to tag the runner or throw to first on any questionable ball that MAY have hit the dirt. Thi guy is a major league catcher we would not tolerate that mistake on our high school softball team.
As for the umpire I thought he made a bonehead play by making the out signal and then made it worse by claiming that it was his normal mechanics.
This did not necessarily lose the game for the Angels it would have at best prolonged the game, but the way they were hitting they probably would have lost anyway (we will never know).
David--I completely agree. I also think the manner in which the catcher caught the ball made it look like the ball had touched the ground. If the catcher hand't turne his glove around (so that the pocket was facing the catcher and not the pitcher) it wouldn't have looked like he was picking up a dropped ball.
i suppose you can add one more thing. the angel pitcher did not even make an attempt to hold the pinch runner, who easily stole 2nd
Watching the replay i thought it was clear that the ball bounced upwards into the glove of the catcher. no doubt his glove surrounded the ball before it hit the ground ... but the ball appeared to hit the ground before it was caught. Would you be complaining if the angels had won?
I think the only thing to be done here is to give the white sox dude a bonus for playing smart baseball.
Watching the replay i thought it was clear that the ball bounced upwards into the glove of the catcher. no doubt his glove surrounded the ball before it hit the ground ... but the ball appeared to hit the ground before it was caught. Would you be complaining if the angels had won?
I think the only thing to be done here is to give the white sox dude a bonus for playing smart baseball.
yes michael i agree. he was the one that got it right. he earned his pay.
Post a Comment