A review of our gig last night:
RED LIGHT GO ROCKS THE OLDE TOWN PUB
If you were lucky enough to be one of the several dozen people there to see Red Light Go at the Olde Town Pub last night, you were fortunate enough to witness a rare and exciting thing in music. The sound of a band hitting their stride. Dana told me at a party recently (where we may or may not have been intoxicated) that, “It was good before but it’s great now.” Having missed the two previous shows where they debuted their new rhythm section, I was anxious to see the new incarnation of a personal favorite.
I was not disappointed.
It was obvious from the get go that I was seeing a more mature band than the one I had witnessed almost a year ago at The Anarchy Library. To see such growth in so little time was a testament to the work ethic of this band. The songs were tight, the solos were mind-bending (whereas before they were only amazing), and the rhythm section… well, more on them later. This was a group that sounded professional, without ever losing that raw feel that makes them so immediate, so tangible. If I rave, it’s only because one would expect such great music to come from complete assholes, whereas Red Light Go is about as cool as one can be without legally changing their first name to Mister and their last name to T.
Old songs were given new life, as new drummer Henri rocked the shit out of personal favorite “Charades,” giving it the backbone the track so sorely needed. The new songs were hit or miss, but what can you expect when you’re playing a song that’s only two weeks old? It recalls to mind… oh, but I must. I was one of only a few people to witness Red Light Go’s infamous self-destruct last year at The Anarchy Library. I think I can recall the exact moment where Dana realized they needed a new rhythm section. To top things off, Joey smashed his guitar(!!) after bunging a solo. Trust me, Red Light Go is an act on the rise, and you damn well ought to pay attention.
Peace, Love, and Beer,
Mr. Slutz
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well I can personally attest that this review understated how ROCKIN RLG's show was last night. And he didn't even mention how lucky RLG is to have the most talented bassist this side of the Mississippi gracing their stage.
The new Band's show was fantastic. Ireally like the sound!
Rob
Post a Comment