Book Recommendation

I finished reading former Congressman Jim Rogan's book Rough Edges last week. It was pretty good. I only read it because he is teaching my Trial Practice course this Fall, but it turned out to be a very enjoyable book. For those of you who tend to sway to the left of center, you are more than welcome to borrow my copy rather than give 15 bux to one of the prosecutors in the Clinton impeachment trial. The book doesn't really discuss politics, it is mostly about Rogan's life growing up in the tough Mission District area of San Francisco and his struggle to put himself through college and law school. He is a life long political junkie (he started off a Democrat and switched to the GOP early in his career as an LA prosecutor) and has met pretty much everyone who is anyone in American politics. His story is really inspiring, a true "American Dream" sort of story.

10 comments:

Richard said...

I think the blog would be more comfortable for some of us if we didn't highlight books from someone Jim Rogan.

One pretext of this blog is, as it should be, to be non-political. Jim Rogan, even if his book does not go into politics much, a significant polictal figure. There may be some (such as myself) who are of the opinion that his role as a House Manager in the impeachment of President Clinton renders him a bit too controversial for our purposes here.

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

Good grief Richard. You're made uncomfortable because of a book reccommendation? Please tell me you're joking. Feel free to reccommend Clinton's book or something. If you don't want to read it, don't read it and don't waste your time commenting on it. It was an interesting read becuse Rogan led an interesting life before he went to Washington, which is what the book is about. If you can't even stomach seeing a book written by someone you disagree with, well then I can't really help you.

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

The only pretext of this blog is as follows (from the introductory post):

"You can post pictures of your pets, pictures of your new neighborhood, pictures of yourself or your kids. You can post about the great book you just read, the awful movie you just saw or post about the beautiful plants you are putting in your garden. You can also comment on other people's posts. The only thing I ask is that since this is a FAMILY blog, that you don't use profanity, that you keep in mind that the younger members of our family will hopefully be posting here and that your posts are respectful. Other than that, anything goes!"

Anonymous said...

so much for free speach.

saw rogan on cspan talking about his book.
his life has been full of the most interesting and unbelievable twists and turns.

just finished reading a biography of thomas jefferson, by christopher hitchens. i would reccomend it here but jefferson owned slaves and was a racist and i think that might be to controversial a subject for the family blog.....

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

I've been thinking about this post and the comments it has insipred a lot today. I don't think the subject of my original post was inappropriate and anyone who wishes to post in a similar vein is free to do so. I for one, would love to hear someone's review of Clinton's book. I have been going back and forth about whether to read it since it is such a huge time committment (I believe the book is over 1000 pages).

The idea that certain books appropriate for general readership (i.e. non-pornographic books) can't be discussed amongst the family says something pathetic about our family that I am not willing to admit at this point. I'd like to think that we can discuss a book like the adults and young adults that we are, and that if any of us don't have something constructive to add to the conversation, we'd have the self-control to post about how cute Ben's dog is instead.

However, if you (general you) have any future complaints about the subject matter of posts on the blog, I'd appreciate a private email rather than commenting publicly. That way, the offended person, the poster and I can deal with the problem quickly and quietly without any public arguments and hopefully avoid any hurt feelings. This procedure has already been used in the past and I think it is the most effective and sensitive way of dealing with things. Thanks.

Richard said...

Fern, and others:
Fern,you are correct. You have made it clear that your original post does not conflict with the rules and regs of the blog. I still have some issues with Mr. Rogan and the House managers, and I let those feelings color my view of his book.

There was no intent to limit "free speech,"nor am I unable to "stomach seeing a book written by someone [I] disagree with." I merely said that I was uncomfortable with Jim Rogan's book in the context of this blog.

Again, I'm sorry if I ruffled feathers. Short of anything by Osama Bin Laden or anything by a Bronte sister, I can deal with it.
-Richard

Marilyn or Rick said...

Ben's dog really is cute.

Marilyn

Rob said...

Richard I'm glad you had Bin Laden ahead of Bronte, because that is the order that I would read them.

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

Richard--

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. In my view, since the blog allows you to pick and choose which posts to respond to and which to ignore, if people want to post things such as reviews of political books (which Rogan's is not, btw) that is fine. If you don't desire to read or discuss such a book, then you don't have to respond.

If my post were different, if it were an analysis of Ann Coulter's latest pathetic attack on liberals, I'd see your point. On a family blog there is no point in baiting "the other side" into political arguments. But clearly that is not what my post about Rogan's book was about. If you've read a great "liberal book," by all means share it. I think it would add something to the blog. I make a concerted effort to read books from all political and idealogical persuasions, so I would love it if someone I respect (such as yourself) pointed out a "must read" book.

A book I am particularly looking forward to which I think you might also enjoy is Jack Balkin's latest book on Roe v. Wade. Balkin is a (liberal) law profesor at Yale. He asked a group of 11 other Con Law scholars to rewrite Roe v. Wade using only information available at the time of the decision. Some of the scholars rewrote the opinion to completely ban abortion, some to completely liberalize access to abortion and some wrote opinions in between those extremes. He did something similar with Brown v. Board of Education. The book is called "What Roe V. Wade Should Have Said" and comes out at the end of August.

Richard said...

Rob:
Bin Laden ahead of Bronte. Sounds about right to me.