Here is my list (in no particular order):
- Pray at the Western Wall in Jerusalem
- Go on a train trip through Northern and Eastern Europe
- Conduct research at the Library of Congress
- Work on a Presidential campaign
- Run for political office or serve in an appointed position
- Argue a case before the Supreme Court
- Own my own home
- Have children
- Donate so much money to an institute of higher learning that they name something after me
- Get to go backstage at a rock concert because my husband is the bassist in the headlining band
16 comments:
In no particular order...
1-Play with my grandchildren
2-Visit Israel
3-Finish a quilt for all my children, nieces and nephews.
4-Finish my children's scrapbooks
5-Win the Lottery
6-Retire
7-Lose 10 pounds and stay in shape for the rest of my life
8-Travel with my husband
9-Become proficient in another language
10-See all my children happily married
"Fern Richardson School of Pooping on Grass"...I like it...has a nice ring to it...
in no particular order i would say:
1. participate in a doctors wihout borders program either to South America or Africa
2. own a ranch house in the hills overlooking the pacific ocean
3. perform surgery on someone incredibly famous
4. visit most of the Asian countries
5. visit most of the european countries
6. get out of a speeding ticket for being a doctor
7. purchase a custom made samurai sword (sharp as hell) with a family crest of my design on the hilt
8. like Fern, i too would like a building at an institution named after me, but for being exceptionally gifted and not for having donated money
9. see a Rage Against the Machine reunion tour featuring NOFX, Pennywise and Bad Religion
10. relax
Good luck with #8 Mike. I don't think universities do that anymore; they've realized that selling the name to a building is a huge cash cow. :-P
I might be able to help you with #6 in a year, so don't get any tickets 'til I know where I am clerking.
1. See Fern argue a case b/4 the Supreme court.
2. See Mick in a headling band.
3. Have Ben Train Maggie in Philly.
4. See Ariel become a succesful artist/designer.
5. See Roberta win the lotter, especially since we are partners on lottery tickets.
6. See Michael participate in Doctors w/o borders.
7. See Rachel graduate from college and pursue her dreams.
8. Enjoy Michael and Rachel's children and happy marriages.
9. Enjoy Rick and My retirement.
10. Replant my garden with rare exotic plants.
My list (also in no particular order):
1. Visit all 50 of the United States (Hats off to Rob, who has already done that).
2. See every Major League Baseball park.
3. Attend the Bar/Bar Mitzvah of all my grandchildren.
4. See The Beatles perform live. (this has been on my list for 40 years; I accept that there's very little chance.
5. Write a book.
6. Play guitar.
7. Visit substantial parts of Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia.
8. Have a beer or three with Bruce Springsteen.
9. Donate a lot of money to a charity that helps people.
10. See Israel at peace.
11. Retire.
12. (this space intentionally left blank)
I think the recurring theme is RETIRE!!!!!!!!!!!
m
Oooh Richard, what would you write your book about?
Richard, I see your daughter knows you well. Good luck with the book, I promise to buy a copy.
Well, I'm game for this. Ten things I want to do before I die. In no particular order of course.
1) Overthrow the government of a small country with a few of my closest friends.
2) Read Finnegan's Wake. Understand it.
3) Steal a famous piece of art from a large, well established museum. Return it, anonymously.
4) Have a suit made specifically for me. In Milan.
5) Have no less than five small apartments in various cities--New York, Paris, Berlin, St. Petersberg, Tokyo--each of which is the intellectual hub of that particular city.
6) Fight a duel defending someone's honor.
7) Outdrink an Irishman.
8) Sell my soul to the devil in exchange for added guitar playing ability.
9) Angelina Jolie
10) Write a Pulitzer Prize worthy novel. Win it.
Ryan--I'd laugh at some of your goals if I didn't think you were serious.
ive avoided this for some time but here goes:
1: trek a free tibet
2: own a small place on the beach
in tahiti
3: publish a book
4: run for congress and win
5: watch ryan get his phd
6: smoke a cohiba in democratic
havana
7: be part owner of a boutique
scotch distillery. single malt
8: own a 1968-72 dino ferrari and
drive it up the coast.
9: i too share ryan's #9. since
i am older, i should go first.
10: i too share richard's #10.
since he is younger he can go
first.
Larry--I didn't know you were into scotch. Owning a distillery sounds like fun.
fern
along the way i developed a couple of 'affectations.' one of which is scotch. i dont drink very much. but when i do i like specific things. one of the best things is a good single malt scotch served neat in a low ball glass. in the right place with the time to savor the complexities of tastes that only a single malt can provide, well that is one of the good moments.
my favorite brand is mccallan. i feel similiarly about a good port.
add a good cigar to either of the above and well, what else is there to want.
what makes me a snob about this is that if i dont get the brands i want i would just as soon drink water.
just imagine a cool-cold autumn day in scotland, drinking the first tasting from the barrell....
larry
Some comments, some responses, some additional items for my list:
What book would I write? "Hostile Warlike Canadians" is a definite possibility. I have a couple of other really good stories to tell.
Larry, Ryan: Angelina Jolie. I like the way you think.
Ryan: I've read Finnegan's Wake, and I don't understand it. I don't think anyone really does. To quote Lauren, "no one should read that book without a stiff drink and a support group." (Originally said in reference to "The Sound and the Fury" by Faulkner.
Not into scotch so much, but I would love to have my own winery in the Napa Valley. Chateau St. Jean has always been my first choice. http://www.chateaustjean.com
I'd love to see all my kids be fabulously successful at whatever that means to them. I'd love to see all of your kids be fabulously successful as well.
That's what I want. I'd settle for Peace, Guitar, and the Winery. And Angelina Jolie. It's okay, Deanne and I have a deal--as long as it's a celebrity.
Ariel, I too am afraid of roller coasters, but I have adopted the attitude of "so what?" When I was your age, I decided to confront my fear, and I went on the Matterhorn at Disneyland about 10 times in one day. I had never been on it before, and I haven't been on it since, and furthermore I don't think I will anytime in the future.
Post a Comment