A few months ago I submitted a paper I wrote on development exactions to a writing contest. I didn't win. I contacted the writing contest director and asked if they would be willing to show me the scoring card or the judges comments so I could see what needed improving. The director was really nice, she said that my paper was well received and encouraged me to tweak the paper a tad and submit it to law reviews. She also forwarded the judges comments...
Judge #1:
The judge liked the article, and felt it was well written. He said it looks like it may have already been published as a case note. "Well written; some editing need[ed]. Author should be strongly encouraged to cite to applicable law review articles.
OK, this is the kind of criticism I like!
Judge #2:
Extremely well written, with only cosmetic flaws and some small errors. Shows thorough understanding of the cases, takes a strong and well researched opinion; clear; doesn't rely too heavily on quotes. Concise, best paper I've seen so far.
Ha Ha! Yes. They love me. I am the second coming of Oliver Wendell Holmes.
Judge #3:
Section on conceptual severance seems gratuitous and doesn't cite to source literature.
Fair criticism. I'll take note and make improvements.
Judge #4:
This article lacks focus, the intro & "short" history of regulatory takings make up most of the article. The article is full of broad statements that are not explained and don't have citations; theories that are not tied to the issue (e.g., "conceptual severance"); & a mish-mash of takings theories. The author ignored the second part of the question and doesn't seem to understand the significance of the procedural positioning of a case or the basis for some court holdings.
YEOW! I think I am going to cry now. :-(
In case any of you are interested in what my paper might have looked like if I "understood the significance of the procedural positioning of a case or the basis for some court holdings" the winning papers can be found on Pacific Legal's website.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
at least they didnt critique your spelling:)
....keep writing keep submitting keep trying keep citing.........
i think it shows great courage to ask for the criticisms so that you can improve. im sure that they dont get that request every day.
When I am writing academically, I use this trusty little device called a spell checker. That, and I actually edit my papers. ;-)
you did good kid....im proud of you
Fern:
Ignore the negative tone of Judge #4. Ask yourself honestly if #4's comments have any merit. If they do, learn from it. But if you *honestly* (really honestly) believe they don't ignore them.
After all, Oliver Wendell Holmes had plenty of critics.
Post a Comment